Monday 6 December 2010

Power of Friendship...

I begin my blogging journey with the topic of friendship. One word, but the power of which is at the base of all relationships.
It is commonly said, unlike family, one can choose their friends.Friends for me personally are the family you choose for yourself.
I read a quote recently that stated a friend accepts us as we are yet helps us to be what we should”, this reflects a true friendship. Friends are supposed to be there for a reason, a season or a lifetime, but I strongly believe 4 A.M. friends are those special friends who have an impact in your lives; quite contrary to seasonal friends, friends who are there for you in your ‘hour of need’.

As I’ve matured I’ve realized that in life you don’t get a lot of 4 A.M. friends, which is why it is important to nurture, treasure and cultivate those friendships. Those are the types of friends that even if you have a disagreement or argument, your friendship sees you through and the disagreement becomes a minor occurrence. Your 4 A.M. friends are not necessarily friends that you talk to every day and sometimes it’s a tragedy that reconnects you with your friends and you pick up where you left off even if it’s been months or years.

I ponder on the thought my amazing father taught me; in life you make new friends all the time whether this be on the train, in the canteen or and when someone blocks your car in the university car park (unfortunately this is something I am very used to), it doesn’t matter where or when you meet new people; it is imperative you keep the old ones for one is Silver and the other is Gold.

Evidently, we are all socialites (I hope you are anyway) living in the 21st century and friends are a part of our lives; but Folks I cannot help but wonder who actually can you call your 4am friend? And more importantly, I’ll leave you with the thought- can you really call them at 4am?J

4 comments:

  1. Friends can be made very easily but finding and keeping a freind who you can call your 4am freind is not so easy! Even though you make friends no matter where you go and you keep your friendship going with the goodness of your heart, the other person may not be the same. If you ever do find a 4am friend never let them go because we all need a freind we can turn to at some point in our lives who wil be there for us no matter what!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been the kind of person who needs friends. I have had many of them but for me personally, I have found that the ones who you can really call your friends are the ones who act as though they are not just your friend, but part of your family too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you mention 4am friends separate from normal friends? Aren't all friends supposed to be GOOD friends? i.e. able call them any time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends are special people who you can rely upon to understand you better than anyone around you. In journey through life you encounter people you know helping in different ways, however that does not make a true friend.
    A true friend will be someone who your heart will decide if that person is genuinely on your wavelength in viewing life on the same capacity as yourself & believes in you as a person!

    ReplyDelete